So I finally bought a softsynth to learn to play the piano. It’s so much fun. Had to re-learn how to read notes since I haven’t since ~6th grade. Hard.
Obviously I zoom in on entirely the wrong aspects:
- Lilypond is awesome for writing music, can export to pdf as well as midi
- lilypond-mode for emacs ships with lilypond
- Writing music in a GUI sucks. And Garageband sucks even more at it
- The production quality of Garageband’s piano lessons is astounding
- eMedia Piano Method felt like it was written in the 90’s. Ugh
- Need to write a lilypond generation web site, like we did for latex. For funsies
- Could use Lilypond to make some kind of music quiz (randomly generate notes, chords, ask user to identify)
Current musical project is the FF8 Ending Theme. Starting with the right hand, exporting to Lilypond as I go, to learn and to export to midi to compare.